Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Holiday Spirit

Earlier this week I attended the wake of a lovely man who lived a very full life. As I looked at boards of photos from his eighty-plus years, I was struck with how familiar the images were, even though I was not related to him. Family get-togethers, football games, birthday dinners, backyard grill-outs, children on Christmas morning, pool parties, new cars, babies and grandkids, weddings -- all these absolutely normal and profoundly wonderful events that make up a life.

As we enter into a holiday weekend that's bound to include ups and downs and family craziness, I hope we can all take time to appreciate that it's exactly these moments that, at the end of the day and the end of our lives, really matter.

Photo from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment