Friday, May 1, 2009

Looking Out, Looking In

Aren't windows neat? They're brimming with symbolism, of course. I like that they allow a glimpse into something, and I especially love how they frame what you see when you're looking out from one.

I always find myself slightly obsessed with windows when I travel. I love looking at -- and sometimes through -- the windows of houses and apartments in the cities I visit. It helps me imagine what it would be like to live there. I wonder what's inside and what the city must look like from that viewpoint.

Similarly, one of the first things I do when I enter a hotel room is run to the window, fling back the curtains and see what slice of the city is revaled through the window. I remember during my first visit to London when I was fourteen, I didn't sleep very well. Jet lag likely contributed to the problem, but I think part of it was the excitement of being in the city and not wanting to miss anything happening around me. Every chance I got, I perched myself on the windowsil and watched what happened on the streets below.

This lovely photo reminds me of that experience -- the excitement of wanting to be a part of everything outside and the feeling of being enchanted by what I saw.

Photo from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment