Monday, March 22, 2010

Blog it Forward: What Inspires Me

Good morning! I'm excited that today is my day to participate in the Blog it Forward blogger mash-up generously organized by Victoria of sfgirlbybay. Three hundred bloggers have been taking turns sharing what inspires them. Did you read Kate Harrison's post on Friday? My goodness, she is a talented photographer! How I would love to spend a day in the world she sees behind her camera.

Part of why I started blogging was to allow myself the space and time and energy to reflect on what inspires, fascinates and makes me happy. I'm constantly on the lookout for inspiration, whether it's for this newbie blog or in my other creative pursuits: writing, drawing, painting, designing, dressing myself, decorating my home, entertaining or simply trying to live life to the fullest. So without further ado, here are a few things I find inspiring:

Color: I think the most energizing element on earth is color. I love everything from bold, saturated tones to soft, whispery hues. Simply seeing a gorgeous shade can spark so many ideas. Photo from here.

Nature: Water, air, flowers, trees -- all these aspects of the natural world restore, calm and inspire me. Nothing clears my mind more than sitting beside an ocean, and the change of seasons has a profound impact on me, shaping the way I feel, think and interact withthe world. Sometimes I pray to be more aware of the beauty and miracles around me every day. I don't want to miss anything! Photo by me.

Light: Much like the changing of seasons, I am completely affected by light. I love the pureness of early morning, the brilliance of the afternoon sun and the golden hues of late day. I can't think of much more beautiful than natural light. It makes me feel so alive. Photo from here.

Travel: Is there a better inspiration for seeing things from a new perspective than travel? I don't think so! I was fortunate to be born into a family with a passionate love of travel, and many of my favorite memories growing up are exploring new cities and countries. It was the best education I could have received -- learning about other places, languages, foods, ways of living, ways of thinking and how big the world really is. Photo by me.

Connections: You know that great feeling you get when you connect with someone -- that little click that happens when you truly understand them? I love that! Whether it's with a new friend or my closest loves, it's something that propels and inspires me. Photo from here.

Words: Books, quotes, plays, blogs, little notes -- wherever I find words I find inspiration. There is something immensely satisfying about the perfect word chosen for just the right situation, and I adore becoming entranced in another person's voice and point of view through their words. Photo from here.

Puzzles: Not that I like problems, but I do find that creativity often comes from constraings and limits. I try to remember this point of view when I'm feeling stuck. Every problem is an opportunity, right? Photo from here.

Stillness: In a hectic world where we're pulled in so many directions, I crave the time and space to let my mind wander. It's often out of this stillness that ideas and inspiration come to me. And it's also just a nice little gift to give myself. We all deserve it! Photo by my mom.

Please check out today's other Blog it Forward participants:

And be sure to visit Kenziepoo tomorrow. I can't wait to see what Rachelle has in store for us!

4 comments:

  1. i love your choices and the pictures you chose this was a lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arcadia, thank you for your nice note. I loved your Blog it Forward post too! I'm a fellow Jane Austen fan : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you included Stillness. You're so right that it is a gift we should give ourselves more often.

    You and your mom have a lovely eye - both those images were my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cyn, thanks for your kind words. I really like your blog. Beautiful paper and a love of dogs -- yes and yes!

    ReplyDelete