While there's hardly a magazine I won't read -- or enjoy, most likely -- I was blown away by the September 2009 issue of House Beautiful. I know, it's a little old but this, the Fall Color Issue, is packed with info that's anything but dated. There are house tours to pore over, a feature on the color amethyst and lots more.
But what I especially love is the back page, which lists twenty questions that help determine one's "color personality." I love this type of thing, just for the chance that it will help me understand myself better. And indeed, this quiz was quite illuminating. Here are HB's questions and my answers:
1. What's the first color you see in the morning? Either the pale turquoise of our bedspread or the soft white afghan knitted by my grandma that I pull on top at night or the light gray walls of our bedroom.
2. What color are your eyes? Blue -- like denim, really.
3. What color do you wear the most? I definitely have a thing for dark pink.
4. What color do you never wear? Coral.
5. What color do you wear when you want to feel sexy? Black most of the time, but white in summer or on vacation.
6. What color gets you the most compliments? Usually blue, sometimes yellow.
7. What color is your lipstick? I'm more of a gloss girl, but I have a deep pink lipstick I like.
8. What color was your living room when you were growing up? White.
9. What color was your bedroom growing up? Lavender. I really, really wanted this color although I don't remember why.
10. What color are your sheets? White -- definitely my preference for sheets.
11. What color was your favorite crayon as a child? Green, my favorite color for awhile as a kid.
12. What color is your car? White.
13. What color was your prom dress? Light turquoise, actually the same hue as my bedspread. Weird.
14. What's your favorite gemstone? Diamonds or sapphires.
15. What is your favorite flower? Pink peonies and white tulips and roses.
16. What color makes you happiest? A cheery yellow.
17. What color depresses you? That really awful mint green.
18. What color calms you? Deep blue.
19. What color makes you grind your teeth? Warm beige.
20. What color would you like to try, but are scared to? I'm kind of intrigued by champagne, either in a formal dress or some sort of home accessory.
Here's what I've learned: Apparently I really like white, blue, deep pink and pale turqouise, with a little gray, yellow and green thrown in. Cooler shades all around. In our house, these are the prominent colors. Wow, right on!