Sunday, August 2, 2009

Swept Away

I watched a gorgeous movie today. Out of Africa certainly isn't a new release -- it was made in 1985 -- but I had never seen it but long wanted to.
Meryl Streep is exquisite, of course, and I very much enjoyed how she portrayed Karen Blixen, a woman who was strong, independent and brave yet also loved deeply and yearned for partnership and companionship.

Robert Redford was great, too, as Denys Finch Hatton, the man who loved Karen as much as he loved his own freedom. I didn't anticipate that he and Streep would make the movie so sexy! From their candlelit dinners in the middle of the African bush to the scene in which he washed her hair, the movie was filled with romance.

I also was swept away by the incredibly beautiful scenes of Kenya. I've only been to that country once but I would love to see it again someday. But whether or not that happens, I'll likely watch this movie again.

No comments:

Post a Comment