Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Slice of Life

Growing up, my sister and I had a thing for rocks. On walks with our parents, we'd find a stone that struck us as interesting or beautiful and run up to our dad to show him our discovery. He actually kept some of them, and only years later did he disclose that he didn't understand what we found so special about most of the rocks.

When my sister and I were a little older, my dad bought a rock polisher from this hippie rock store in town. We carefully chose stones to throw into the polisher and worked at it night after night, scrubbing and buffing and waiting for the magic to happen. Unfortunately, the rocks never really polished or changed in any sort of way. Once again we were left with regular gray stones.

Maybe that's why this beautiful agate necklace on Fey Handmade strikes such a chord with me. This is what we thought would come out of our rock polisher! The colors are so rich and the pattern stunning. This necklace would be beautiful to wear and I also think it would be a nice reminder of my family's strange and enduring love of rocks.

Photo from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment