Monday, November 23, 2009

Makes You Wonder

A few weeks ago, I came across a program on television about the word's oldest trees. It boggles my mind that some of the trees living on the earth right now are three- and four-thousand years old. Just think of the events big and small, and changes slow and fast, they must have lived through.

Shortly after catching this program, I saw a post on the splendid blog Bliss that mentioned a stunning work of art by Bryan Nash Gill. Locust is a relief print of a cross-section of a locust tree, and I think it's just beautiful.

The print made me wonder how intricate and beautiful must a cross-section of an old tree with four thousand rings representing four thousand years of stories be. But in a way, I'm glad we don't know just yet.

Photo from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment