Thursday, September 24, 2009

A Happy Birthday

Today is my birthday. Yay! I'm now twenty-nine, which I think is a pretty cool age.

The weird thing about this age, though, is that most people don't focus on it. They want to know what you think about your next birthday, the big 3-0.

All this attention on that impending milestone got me thinking. Are there things I ought to accomplish in this next year? Should I make a list of what I need to do before I turn thirty?

Filled with anxiety, I started making a list. And you know what, it didn't really work out. What I put on my list were things I already was doing, things that were already important to me. I just wanted more of them:

Traveling and taking more adventures with my husband. Spending time with the pup (and maybe getting a second dog). Making more art. Doing more yoga. Hanging out with my family. Visiting my girlfriends. Exercising more. Learning to cook a few more things. Taking care of myself, accepting myself more fully, loving myself. Being grateful every day.

Really, my list of things to do became a list of things that have made the twenty-nine years leading up to this very moment so full and wonderful.

So I'm embarking on this new year feeling grateful, blessed and excited for what's to come. And that might just be the best birthday gift I could ever wish for. 

Photo from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment